Notable Occupants of the Grand Houses of Abbots Langley
Web site researched and maintained by Lesley and Tim Brooks, Abbots Langley.
We are both active members of the Abbots Langley Local History Society.
Click on a house name in the header above to reveal who lived there over the centuries!
William Coningham (Rosehill) - Baron Rokeby (Hazelwood) - Lady Charlotte Hill Countess Talbot of Hensall (Cecil Lodge).
Portrait of William Coningham by John Linnel Public Domain.
Portrait of Rokeby is from the "Guards Museum". ©Property of The Crown.
Portrait of Lady Talbot by Sir Joshua Reynolds 1723–1792 Tate Britain . Photo © Tate Images ID #: N05640.
There has been a settlement in Abbots Langley for as long as records exist, but, as with the rest of the country, significant expansion occurred early in the 18th century, with several large villas being built by wealthy individuals, either as homes for their retirement, or as 'country seats' to augment their property holdings in London.
Interactive map showing the locations of each of these houses.
What's in a place name?
A few of the individuals recorded on this web site have lent their names to streets and buildings in the area.
Here is a list of some of them, and links to the pages where you will find the character in question.
|Adrian Road||Nicholas Breakspear, Pope Adrian IV||Breakspear Farm|
|Breakspear Court||Nicholas Breakspear, Pope Adrian IV||Breakspear Farm|
|Breakspeare Road||Nicholas Breakspear, Pope Adrian IV||Breakspear Farm|
|Breakspear Place||Nicholas Breakspear, Pope Adrian IV||Breakspear Farm|
|Cecil Lodge Cottages||James Cecil, Viscount Cranborne, (later, 1st Marquess of Salisbury)||Cecil Lodge|
|Filmer Gardens||Sir John Filmer, Seventh Baronet||The Vicarage|
|Henderson Place||W. H. Henderson||Serge Hill|
|Henderson Hall||W. H. Henderson||Serge Hill|
|Kindersley Way||Robert Molesworth Kindersley , 1st Baron Kindersley GBE||Langley House|
|Parnell Close||The Rev. Arthur Henry Parnell||The Vicarage|
|Popes Road||Nicholas Breakspear, Pope Adrian IV||Breakspear Farm|
|Raymond Close||Robert, 1st Baron Raymond||Langleybury|
|Talbot Cottages||Lady Charlotte Hill Countess Talbot of Hensall||Cecil Lodge|
|Turnbull Court||George Turnbull, Civil Engineer||Rosehill|
These webpages are based on an original presentation made by Lesley Brooks to the Abbots Langley Local History Society in May 2018.
Now converted and expanded as a web-site as part of the ALLHS Coronavirus lockdown archive event launched in September 2020.
This work was inspired by the books of Scott Hastie & David Spain, Clive Clark, & the Fred Dobson DVD 'Abbots Langley Remembered'.
Copyright. These web pages © Lesley Brooks. Where images and text are drawn from other sources, copyright is acknowledged whenever known, and links to those sources provided where required or appropriate.
Any use of this material, for any purpose, must be credited, with due reference, including the URL, and a link provided back to these pages when online.